Slow load speeds with Emma

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I consistently experience VERY slow load speeds with Emma, while any other site I access is responding briskly. It's notable pretty much every time I log in. 

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Emma is experiencing intermittent connectivity issues.
Photo of kara | daniel JEWELRY

kara | daniel JEWELRY

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey there! I'm sorry to hear about the slow loading speeds in your account! Would you mind sharing some of details about that experience? For example, what actions in particular are running slowly? Do you notice it at certain times of day, or, since you notice it pretty much every time you log in, are there any times the site runs at higher speeds? 

Any details you can think of will be helpful, and I will pass that information along to our systems team so they can find ways to improve performance across the board, and hopefully give you a better experience. I appreciate the feedback, and look forward to hearing from you!
Photo of kara | daniel JEWELRY

kara | daniel JEWELRY

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I notice it consistently, and haven't noticed a correlation to time of day. I work on Emma during regular business hours AND after hours. I'm on a Mac using Safari, so no IE relation.
Photo of The McKenzie Institute USA

The McKenzie Institute USA

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

I second kara's initial comment.  While I normally do not experience much "slowness" in the morning hours, mid-afternoon is a battle almost every day.  I would pinpoint where, specifically, I experience slowness, but it's everywhere.  Whether I'm uploading pictures, lists for an audience, trying to sort those lists, trying to send Test eBlasts... just about everything.  Right now I'm trying (over and over again, on both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome) to alphabetize the list of successful recipients for one mailing in order to troubleshoot delivery issues for a client and I'm getting nowhere ... which is why I'm here writing this.

(Edited)

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hello, and sorry for my delayed response! App slowness is frustrating, and it's not at all what we want to deliver with our product. General app slowness is something we've been working to address, including some behind the scenes system changes, and hardware upgrades that are planned for this weekend. We expect these upgrades to increase performance, so hopefully you'll see an improvement in the slowness you described as early as Saturday afternoon, although the real test will be Monday or Tuesday afternoon, like you described. 

We're definitely interested in the specifics of what you're experiencing. After the upgrade, if you're still seeing slowness in the application, it would be helpful for us if you let us know the specific actions you're taking when you experience the lag, exactly the way you did above. We want to sort this out going forward, so please let me know! 
Photo of NorfolkCounty

NorfolkCounty

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I upgraded to the latest IE yesterday at a prompt by Emma, and now the system is working slowly. Also, my library of images doesn't load up and the system froze. I have to click some buttons twice to get them to work. The photo below shows IE on left after 3 minutes of waiting and Chrome on right that loaded up quickly. Chrome was glitching for me, which is why I started using IE. Please give me the old Emma back.
(Edited)

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey there! this looks to be about a slightly different problem, so I've made a new thread, and Emily will be taking good care of you!  Please reference the new conversation here: Problems using Emma in Internet Explorer
(Edited)
Photo of Maine Maritime Academy

Maine Maritime Academy

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I, too, experience consistently slow speeds when working within Emma. It seems that anytime I need to load a new page (i.e. open a campaign, response, automation, etc) it takes forever. Any time the "Just a Moment..." window pops up, it usually sticks around! It also happens when uploading images, as was stated above, with no correlation to time of day. As I write this, I'm still waiting for one of my campaigns to open so that I can edit it - sometimes when load times are over 1 minute, I usually have to refresh the page. I use google chrome as a browser. Any tips that we can do on our end? Thanks for working on it.

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey, thanks for posting! For steps you can take on your end, I would recommend a few things. First, you'll want to occasionally clean out the cache and cookies in your browser. The browser stores some information to make browsing faster, but for sites like Emma that are frequently updated, sometimes that old information can get in the way and slow things down. 

Second, specifically for your account, you might want to avoid uploading large images, and delete any that are already in your account. After a quick glance at your image library, I noticed a few images that were between 2 and 5MB, which is pretty large for an image in a mailing. Most of the images in your library are under 1MB, which is a more email friendly size. I find that sometimes getting rid of those large images can speed things up. 

Other than those two things, you can check in on connectivity on your end. Have you tried logging in from a different computer on a different network? If you find faster speeds at home or in a coffee shop, that might indicate that your network is playing a part in speed issues. See if your connection goes through a firewall, or if you have any anti-virus software running in the background. We recommend Chrome, and find it to be a fast browser, but it's only one part of a very large system of transferring data. 

Hopefully this helps! We're very interested in the specifics of slowness, and if we can determine the slowness is caused by something on our end, we can take those reports into consideration and find ways to speed things up. Please let me know about any specifics you can think of!
(Edited)