Spreadsheets are slow to import right now

• Announcement
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

If you’re seeing some slowness while importing spreadsheets, I want to let you know that imports are a bit behind right now.

There’s no need to try importing your file again; it will catch up. And we’ll be sure to let you know just as soon as we see the imports speed up.

Thanks for your patience!
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Otten Johnson

Otten Johnson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Would this cause other problems with imports?  I have retried my import 4 times.  I don't get any errors, but each time I get 0 imported addresses.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Otten! I checked out your Imports page, and the 0 is showing because those imports are still in progress; there’s a clock to the left of each spreadsheet.

No need to try importing them again; they’ll catch up on their own!
Photo of Otten Johnson

Otten Johnson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks,  they actually look like they completed.  I don't see a clock.  I'll give it some time.
Photo of Otten Johnson

Otten Johnson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Never mind, I see the clock.
Photo of NASBA

NASBA

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What happens if my import isn't complete and I need to shut off my computer? Will I loose the import or will it still be in progress?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It’ll still be in progress, so you can navigate away from the Imports page, shut down your computer, throw it out a window ...

Wait, not that last one. But you definitely needn’t ever remain on the Imports page while waiting for a spreadsheet to be imported; the process is on Emma at that point.
Photo of NASBA

NASBA

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay. That is good to know! Thank you!
Photo of Patriot Software Solutions, Inc.

Patriot Software Solutions, Inc.

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What happens when a call is made to the member batch add API endpoint and an import ID of zero is returned?  Is this related?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! This isn’t related to the current importing problem, so I’m creating a new space for us to address this. Thanks for posting. :) Please reference the new topic here: Import ID of 0 returned when call made to member batch add API endpoint
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Imports are still behind but are processing.

Due to a high number of imports early today the import queue was overloaded. Our servers are working through those imports as quickly as possible but it may be several hours before imports complete. As Katie mentioned above, there is no need to remain on the import page or even remain logged in once you have started your import.

Our team here is researching ways that we can prevent future delays in imports. We do realize that completing imports quickly is something that our customers expect of Emma.

We will post an update here once the import queue is completely clear and caught up.
Photo of Austin Film Festival

Austin Film Festival

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, 

I've been waiting on an import for about four hours now. Do you have an idea of a maximum wait time?

*The list just imported, thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of NASBA

NASBA

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you have an approximate on how long they are taking or does it depend on the size of the import? I have been waiting on one for a little over 3 hrs.
Photo of Peter Beer

Peter Beer

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
As much as I want to like Emma, this is  unacceptable. Users of the service pay under the assumption that they will be able to send emails at the time they desire. The actions of other clients are Emma's responsibility, not ours.

Frankly, it matters little why the delay exists. What matters is that this is the third time in three weeks that Emma has suffered from the same problem. As an existing client, we've received no notification, update, suggestion, or anything else as to why the problem continues.

Some information and transparency would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Our import processing is completely caught up.

We realize that slowness like this causes delays in your communication with your audience and we don't take it lightly. Our team was able to make some great headway today in identifying the root cause of these events. More clearly identifying the cause allows us to now take the necessary steps to improve our application. I expect to have a more complete understanding tomorrow and will communicate that information as clearly as possible here.

As we know more, we will be taking the necessary steps to make sure that import speeds are more stable and dependable.

Photo of Northwest Earth Institute

Northwest Earth Institute

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having this problem again today. Anyone else??
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hi Northwest, Any import delays experienced today were not related to last weeks event. Today was simply a high volume day across the board which means our databases were working harder to process all types of account data. This can occasionally cause some import slowness but nothing like the event last Thursday.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
An update on last weeks import slowness:

Our current import system is built to handle a significant number of imports at one time, as long as those imports are occurring in different customer accounts. This process works well until a single customer creates a significant number of imports in very rapid succession through our public API. Since our imports process in a first-in-first-out queue, those import request from a single customer in rapid succession cause an import bottleneck.

Now that we have a better understanding of what can cause that bottleneck, we are working on ways to improve the import system to make it faster for everyone, in every use case. We are also working with specific customers and integrations to address why these high numbers of imports are occurring.
Photo of Brandeis Women's Chapter

Brandeis Women's Chapter

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem  today - slow to import and showing 0 imports.  This is extremely frustrating.  I have spent over an hour trying to import a file with only 570 names and email addresses!!  This is not acceptable.  Please let me know what you will do to fix this problem, and fix it soon!!   Thank you.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
When you say there are 0 imports, do you mean the 0 in the Contacts Added column? This means that there were 0 brand-new contacts added to your account, meaning everyone on your spreadsheet already existed somewhere in your Emma account. Here’s an explanation of what each of those columns means. Let me know if you have any other questions about this!
Photo of AZ20 - Capernaum-Phoenix

AZ20 - Capernaum-Phoenix

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Waiting over an hour for an import of 100 - how long should we expect to have to wait?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hello there! You might have spotted in this conversation, that imports were about half an hour behind yesterday. Everything is back up to speed now. Thank you for your patience!