Expand spell check functionality to scan all text blocks at once?

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Maybe it's just me, but I could swear that when I've used the spellcheck feature in the past that it would then show me mis-spellings throughout the WHOLE campaign. Now, though, it appears that you have to go to each text block individually in order to spell check. Am i missing something?
Photo of Love Out Loud

Love Out Loud

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- To my knowledge, the spell check functionality hasn't changed in some time. I tested to confirm, and because you have to place your cursor in a specific text block to access the formatting toolbar, the spell check feature only looks within that block. 
Photo of Love Out Loud

Love Out Loud

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Like I said, I could swear I've never had to go from text block to text block...instead, my memory is that one click of the spell check showed mis-spellings throughout the campaign.
Our newsletters tend to have short blocks of many things happening in compassion and justice across our city. It seemed needlessly time consuming to have to click on each box individually.
Unless there is a compelling reason from a coding or workflow perspective to keep the current scenario, I would request that the team consider re-working the code so that all mis-spellings in the entire campaign show up when the spell-check icon is clicked.
Respectively submitted,
chuck

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Chuck -- Just to be certain, I checked in with the product team to get more history on the spell check feature. They confirmed that this functionality has never existed. I will put it in as a feature request, though! Our product team is always looking for ways to improve the editor, and may be able to work that into future iterations. :) I'm changing this conversation to an Idea and will update the status when I hear back from the product team.
Photo of Love Out Loud

Love Out Loud

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Great! Thank you so much for your prompt response and engaging with my particular request. We love Emma. It's been a huge catalyst for the citywide communication happening among churches and non-profits here in Winston-Salem, NC.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Chuck -- Just following up here. I've marked this feature request as Under consideration, as our product team is eager to work this kind of spell check functionality into future work on the editor. I don't have a timeline for that work right now, but I'll be sure to update this conversation when I do. 
Photo of UMass Department of Communications

UMass Department of Communications

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
It would also be great to be able to add words to the dictionary. Words I use all the time, in virtually every block - like "email," "website," month abbreviations, or the name or our city - come up as misspellings that require me to click on "ignore all" each time. This takes a lot of time when I'm trying to send out a mailing on deadline. Thanks.
Photo of Julie Wittman

Julie Wittman

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Is adding words to the dictionary a feature on the development horizon?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1697 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there!   We aren't looking at adding that feature directly.  

We are going to be making some updates to the entire text-editor as a whole, moving to a newer universal system.  I'm not sure what the spell-check features will be on the new system, but I'll certainly pass along the request! 

-G
Photo of jim.knizer

jim.knizer

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Adding custom dictionary words would improve my workflow considerably. Would love to know if there is any change here. The name of the product our company is promoting should not come up as a typo in spell check.
Photo of Can Do Canines

Can Do Canines

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello—just recently started using Emma, so I apologize if I'm missing something. Your editor excels in a whole slew of areas (thank you :), but why does your system require you to press spellcheck at all?

Virtually all online (or offline) software I can think of these days (Gmail, Word, MailChimp, Wordpress, Drupal, this comment box as I type) underlines mizspelt words as you go.  This feature is pretty much essential for me to not make our company look like a bunch of 4th graders :). Thanks in advance for the consideration.
Photo of jim.knizer

jim.knizer

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I completely changed my workflow in this tool because the spell check doesn't search across text blocks. 

my specific use case is that I offer a sequence of training courses, and start out with a template with all of the available courses as separate blocks.

I used to rearrange the blocks and delete the sessions I am not offering in the near future. However, because there could be a dozen blocks, I ended up having to remember to hit spell check in each block before every send.

I ended up just moving everything into one big block.  however, copy/paste of text within the same block is incredibly inconsistent.

so now my workflow is just to have all my classes in one big block, delete the classes I don't offer anymore, and don't re-order based on calendar sequence. 

Is this change still under consideration?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1697 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there!   Thanks for reaching out!  The spell check feature is not one that is built by Emma specifically, but rather is a part of a tool set that we use in our editor, so updates to that toolset would come down to us as well. 

I will say that I have rather enjoyed using Grammarly.  It's a free plugin that can be installed in Chrome that will do a really nice job of spellchecking.  

Just a thought in the meanwhile.  :)   Have a good one!