Mailing renders differently in preview than in the editor

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
For the last couple weeks, my templates are no longer rendering responsively. I'm using the same template I've been using for a year. It looks fine in the editor, and then when I preview it, the contents do not re-stack to conform to the device chosen in the preview. It shows one page that requires me to scroll side-to-side. Similarly, for test emails, they show up like it's one big image. The text does not flow.

I tried a different template for the last mailing (and previewed two explicitly mobile-friendly templates), and the preview and test emails for all the templates I tried gave me the same results.

I've stripped down all the text formatting. I've tried without the header graphic.

I'm composing in Safari 8.0.8 on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite (10.10.5). I checked test emails on an iPhone in both Gmail (which I know is problematic) and Apple Mail (which usually works as shown in the preview).

The last successful campaign I sent was on August 31. The two I've sent in September have had this problem.

Photo of Twin Cities Women's Choir

Twin Cities Women's Choir

  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • ready to ditch Emma all together

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Damian Gatta

Damian Gatta, Official Rep

  • 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there!

I jumped in your account and made a copy of your most recent campaign September 14, 2015 NewsNotes.  I can see that the content was pushing out over the maximum width of the template, which is why it was not responding properly on the preview page for a mobile device.  Did you copy and paste the content from another source?  As you can see in September 14, 2015 NewsNotes - Support Copy 1, I was able to correct the content that was pushing out of the template width.  The text block that was specifically causing this is the block that starts with Big Gig this coming Thursday!.  I copied that content and dropped it into www.editpad.org to make it plaintext, and then copied the plaintext and pasted into a new text block.  When I deleted the original text block, all the content fit perfectly into the template width.  If you jump into September 14, 2015 NewsNotes - Support Copy 2 and scroll down and delete the text block Big Gig this coming Thursday!,  you will see that the content will fit the template width.

We suggest anytime you are copying and pasting text from another source, that you always make that content plaintext before pasting into the editor.  Copied text can have some formatting that will stick in the HTML and can cause some things to act wonky in the editor.

Feel free to reach out here if you have any questions!  I am always happy to help!