Text input covers Lightbox and will not scroll (Android)

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Planned
I installed the lightbox signup on my site (http://ecaminc.com) and it work well, until I try to use it on  my Android phone.

When I try to type into any of the input fields the keypad display covers that input fields and will not scroll to let me get to the next field. I need to clear the onscreen keyboard, click on the ned field,a nd enter the data. Repeating that three times gets me through the form.  I have tested this on IE and Chrome.

You will see that is tries to scroll, but resets to the top of the light box.

Here is a picture (yes, I should have resized it before attaching. But you cannot say it's too hard to read! :-) )

If it matters my site is Joomla 3.3.4. Android version 5. Browsers are current version.

Photo of Todd Williams

Todd Williams

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Todd, thanks for posting! After a bit of testing, it looks like the behavior of the keyboard in relation to the lightbox form is caused by the browser, rather than the lightbox form itself. From testing and from your screenshot, it looks like this browser has Prev. and Next buttons to address this issue. You should be able to easily jump to the next field using the next button, but if that doesn't work, please let me know!

The browser might react differently to different types of forms, so I'll let our team know that the forms are hard to use in some environments. We might be able to take that into consideration for future releases. Also, could you head to www.supportdetails.net from your phone and let me know the Android version and browser version? Let me know if the Next button doesn't work, and I'll pass that along as well!
Photo of Todd Williams

Todd Williams

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will check out the Prev/Next buttons later, As I already accessed it once today and it will not show up until tomorrow. I am not sure there is anything intuitive about that and most people will try to scroll. I think that I tested this on IE and got the same results.

www.supportdetails.net  will not load properly on my phone (Chrome or IE.) I just get a black screen. The screen shot is Chrome and it is no more than a week old.  As I noted above I am on Andriod V5.
Photo of Todd Williams

Todd Williams

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just tested this on a cohort's Android. She is using Chrome 43.0.2357.93, Android V5.0. Oddly enough, she does not get the Next/Prev buttons.  

I was able to get to support details today and I am running the same version 43.0.2357.93. 

I think since I registered, it will not ask me on my phone again.  Can I clear that setting for just me?
Photo of Todd Williams

Todd Williams

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Weirdness abound.  Here is a screenshot from my phone on and a Chrome incognito session (so I could get the lightbox to show).  My Next/Prev buttons do not show. 

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Todd, thanks for that browser info! I'm going to check in with a few of my colleagues to see if we can better understand how those forms interact with browsers. I'm hoping there's something we can recommend for your site, or potentially a change we can make to our forms in a future version, but I will learn what I can and let you know!

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Todd, after chatting with a few of our developers, it looks like the keyboard covering up the text fields is to be expected, and is the result of how Android devices and Chrome interact with most websites. I don't know if there would be a way to get around this in a future release for our Lightbox forms, but I'm going to submit this as a feature request to put it on the radar of our developers. If it's possible, we'll hopefully see that changed in a later version!

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Todd! Katie here, stepping in for Paul. I chatted with our Product Team, and we're definitely planning to fix this issue. I don't have the exact timeline, but I'll keep you in the loop here.