How can I stop spam signups?

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
I have seven signups from totally bogus sounding emails and names, all with the same first name and last name, and emails that look like they're generated from a random (e.g. Summer Summer of psychoticfable4lr37@laposte.net).  Are these spam emails dangerous in any way, and how can I prevent them?  I don't want to skew our data.
Photo of Hells Canyon Preservation Council

Hells Canyon Preservation Council

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of RAD Graphics, Inc.

RAD Graphics, Inc.

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I noticed the same thing. Glad you posted.
Photo of Damian Gatta

Damian Gatta, Official Rep

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi there!

Are you using an Emma signup form on your website?  The best way way to workaround spam emails joining your list is to require your new contacts to confirm opting in.  Once a new signup submits their email address using a signup form, you can set to have a confirm opt in email be sent to the new signups inbox using automation or the standard confirm opt in email on our forms.  Once they click the link in their inbox, that will show in Emma that they have confirmed opting in.  You can now create a segment in your audience based on Contact information for the confirmed opting in field and only send your campaigns to these contacts since you know that they are not spam.

Take a look at this post from Emma Community where we discuss using the confirm opt in feature.

Feel free to reach out with any questions or if there is anything else I can do to help!
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am using double-opt in with Emma's WordPress plugin and still seeing hundreds of spam subscribers.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey Dan, 
Since you're using WordPress, you may look into the Gravity Forms "No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" plugin.  

This isn't a plugin that we support directly, but I know Gravity Forms can be used to send contacts into Emma, so that may be a good way to go for you!  
Photo of Hells Canyon Preservation Council

Hells Canyon Preservation Council

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can't do that, unfortunately, since the vast majority of our audience has never opted in.  I think instead the sign up form will have to go.  BUMMER!
Photo of Family Missions Company

Family Missions Company

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I stop spam sign-ups?.

We have been getting dozens of spam signups over the past few weeks. I noticed that our open and click rates were higher than usual and looking into it, I discovered all these spam email accounts are opening and clicking every single link in every single campaign they receive. Not really sure how clicking a bunch of links is productive for spammers... I can clean these users out manually I suppose, but what is the best way to protect our forms from this moving forward? Require an opt-in for all future sign-ups?

We run a wordpress site and I think we embedded the signup forms with javascript. 
Photo of Family Missions Company

Family Missions Company

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
When you import and "Add & Update" a list containing existing subscribers, will it overwrite their opt-in status and eliminate evidence that they had previously confirmed opt-in?
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Family Missions -- No, importing contacts will never impact their current status. Confirmed opt-in is really a contact field, rather than a status, so as long as you're not mapping any contact information to that field, you won't be updating that field. :)
Photo of Flux

Flux

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Would be great if there was a filter that would allow us to search for any contacts that have identical first and last names. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
That's an interesting idea!  I think that's super easy to do in Excel if you wanted to export your contacts or a specific group and check it out there.  

Then you could import the list of suspicious addresses into it's own group and delete them or move them all to error status.  

Cheers!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi folks, 

I wanted to post on here with some good news for anyone who has suffered from bot signups coming in via an Emma Classic form.  

We have made some modifications to how our system manages these forms and we expect that this will provide a bit more security.

The best part is that any Classic signup forms you’re using now automatically have this new security measure in place, don’t require any extra work on your part to set up or maintain.  It is simply there and working for you!  

Cheers!

-Grey 
Photo of Amanda Herr

Amanda Herr

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i am still receiving at least 40 bots a day.  How can I get around this?  Having a separate list for sign ups is not an option as I have to have one master list this feeds to.  Also having to have a separate list and then segment out those who don't confirm is just cumbersome for me as a my emma client.  I don't want to switch providers and i don't want to dump the form...but this is a huge issue.  Thanks
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Amanda, can you point me to the website where you have the form that's giving you problems?  
Photo of Amanda Herr

Amanda Herr

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
yes, thank you for your help.  fivetwo.com
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there Amanda!   Checking out your site, it looks like you've built a custom form for use on your page, and have it linking back to an Emma signup form.  While this is fine to do, it does not include the security measure we put into place.  

I would suggest either:
1. Using the Emma form code instead of the custom built form 
2. Adding a Captcha (or some other security) to your custom built form

Let me know if you have any questions about this! 
Photo of And Other Stories

And Other Stories

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi there,

I have also been seeing this problem using a classic Emma form. It's really annoying - a lot of bot activity skewing our open/click stats.

I will try exporting a list and creating a separate group for these emails but I don't want to have to keep doing this over and over again.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Nicky
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there, thanks for you patience with me here!   

Are you still having issues with bot signups?   Can you point me to the form you're using and where that form is?   I'll be happy to take a look!

- Grey 
Photo of And Other Stories

And Other Stories

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Grey,
Yes, that's right. The form is here: http://www.andotherstories.org/ and on a couple of other locations on that site.
Thanks,
Nicky
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks Nicky!   I'm going to pass that along to our Deliverability team to take a look.  Can I get an email address from you so we can move this conversation there?