Tracking Pixels for Retargeting

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

We're getting ready to run a campaign and part of that
is retargeting to those people who are part of the campaign. We're looking to imbed a tracking pixel code in the email we send so that we can retarget. Are people doing this already? Any issues or things to look out for?

Photo of Longwood Gardens

Longwood Gardens

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
You could host a tracking pixel on your website and insert it using the HTML block in the editor. I'm confident, though, that the tracking information this would provide is already available in our response data. This article might be helpful in setting that up, but it does note that tracking pixels don't return the most consistent data if the mail server has images turned off.

Is there something specific you're looking for that you don't see in the response data? Thanks!
Photo of Tracks Advertising

Tracks Advertising

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Emily, I'm getting a notification from Outlook, somewhat of an error by implementing a 1x1 pixel retargeting pixel. When I remove the retargeting pixel the email loads fine in Outlook. Here's a picture of the error I'm receiving: 

Is there any way to prevent this error & still include the pixel?

Thanks!
Photo of Digital

Digital

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

We are also trying to implement a retargeting pixel and we are having a similar issue with loading. 

In this article: https://community.myemma.com/emma/topics/litmus-tracking-code Benton said "the Litmus tracking pixels are actually not compatible within the Emma email environment" and "We don't have any current plans to implement compatibility with Litmus's tracking pixels, because we already offer tracking within Emma's Response area..."

Is this true for any third party pixel tracking system? I'm aware of the self-hosted solution proposed  here http://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-email-tracking-pixel-49332.html but we aren't using the pixel to track opens but to build a retargeting pool.

Thank you.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Yes, it is true that any 3rd party pixel tracking is not compatible.  The only option right now remains to be the self-hosted method.  

As far as retargeting, is there a data point that you're not seeing in Emma that could help you to achieve this?  If so, let me know so I can see if we know of another workaround.  

- Grey