Trigger a lightbox form to show up

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Under Consideration
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL CLEANUP

Is there a way for the lightbox form to, instead of automatically showing up will be triggered by a "Join Mailing List" button?

Or is there a way to embed the lightbox form unto a website? We are prefering the new lightbox form rather than the classic form. Thanks!
Photo of Dave Ruch

Dave Ruch

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Dave! Glad to hear you like the looks of lightbox forms. I prefer them to classic forms, too.

It sounds like you want to use the classic form's publishing options (there are four: a URL, pop-up, iframe and JavaScript object) instead of the lightbox form's trigger based on your timing selections so that users can choose when the form appears for them:

Do I have that right?
Photo of Dave Ruch

Dave Ruch

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes that's right. Can the new form be embedded into a page or pop up when triggered by a button with the site?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Got it! No, that isn't possible right now. The lightbox forms are solely lightboxes, where they pop up based on your timing. I'm sharing with our Product Team that you'd like to embed a form that looks like your lightbox, and I'll let you know what their plans are.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi again, Dave! Our Product Team let me know that we're collecting use cases for additional forms functionality and looking to prioritize this within the next year. I'm marking this as Under Consideration and will let you know once we grow close enough to mark as Planned. :)
Photo of W Dental Group

W Dental Group

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Katie!  I think I have a similar problem/need to Dave in wanting to permanently embed the lightbox form into a web page.  I understand the location/timing tab on the form setup.  My current settings are for the form to appear immediately/always.  I signed myself up to test the form, so now the form no longer appears for me when I navigate to the page in which I have it embedded. 

My concern is that many people at the company I am pursuing share computers.  This means that if multiple people use the same computer to check out my landing page, the form will not appear if someone has already used that IP address to sign up.

Now, this isn't a huge catastrophe by any means because it is unlikely that more than a handful will be visiting our page from the same computer.  That being said, of those that do, if the form doesn't pop up for them to provide their information when they visit from work, it is unlikely that they will go home and look it up again.  This means that I am losing possible leads.  I would like to be able to embed the form on the page so that it is always present for people to sign up (the classic forms are really not very attractive in comparison, plus they will eventually be phased out). 

Barring that as a possibility right now, is there a way to setup the lightbox form so that it appears every time regardless of whether a person has used that IP address to sign up?

Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing this! That's an interesting idea, that your viewers are sharing computers and missing the lightbox form after one of them has already signed up. There isn't a way to force the form to display each time, unless the user clears their browser's cache and cookies between viewing your site. The reason for that is best practices: You want to coach viewers into signing up, and then once you have them, you want to acknowledge that by not continuing to prompt them to sign up again. It might also confuse them into thinking their signup didn't go through the first time, if it's the same subscriber on your site.

I'll share this use case with our Product Team, as well as the desire to permanently embed the form, which I think is probably preferable to having the form display each time, no matter what. I'm glad you added your two cents here!
Photo of W Dental Group

W Dental Group

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks!  I've actually performed a hard refresh on my browser and gone in manually to clear the cookies and it doesn't show up.  I understand the best practices as to not confuse users.  That is why it would be great if I could embed the form inline with the page so that it doesn't seem to be hounding the user.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
When you're in your browser, are you selecting to clear both cache and cookies? As long as you're in the most recent version of your browser and selecting both options, you should be golden. Let me know if that still isn't working, though, and I'll give you a shout outside of this conversation thread. :)
Photo of Equals 3 Media

Equals 3 Media

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can I use the lightbox with a onclick event?.

I love the new lightbox however I want to activate it only when a person clicks a button. Is it possible to use the new lightbox when a user clicks a button? This would save me the pain of trying to use the classic forms. 
Photo of Restaurant Equippers

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi Everyone! Lov'in the lightbox as well! - That said, count me in as someone who would LOVE to have a lightbox that can activate on "Click." I have folks over on my end asking me every couple weeks if it's available! :) Fingers crossed it won't be too long! Once this is available, we can say "Goodbye" to the old forms entirely! :D
Photo of Flour Box Bakery

Flour Box Bakery

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Any update on this? I love the lightbox form - it's much prettier than the classic form. Is there any way yet to trigger this onclick? 
Photo of Estipona Group

Estipona Group

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Use a Light Box Form from a HTML Link rather than automatically popping up.

We love your guys' lightbox pop up for. The problem is that we don't want to bother our clients all the time with automatic popups. Is there a way to use the light box popup form but only when a client clicks on a link? I know that I can set the form to appear on a specific page but we would rather stay on whatever page they are on and if they click the Newsletter link in the header the form will pop up.
Photo of Phillip Duncan

Phillip Duncan, Technical Services Consultant

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hey everyone. I've been with Emma a few weeks and I've built a few custom lightbox forms that can hold additional content or activate with a button/link click.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to use a custom lighbox code to show one of the classic forms. The classic form can be styled to look the same as the lightbox form using CSS.

If this level of coding is something your not comfortable doing yourself, we also offer this as a service. Feel free to contact us using the Services Page (http://myemma.com/services) if you'd like more information.
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hmm... that's helpful but I know nothing about CSS or how to use it with Weebly (and don't want to pay extra for consulting). My question is slightly different but on the same topic. What if someone closes the lightbox without signing up, but then after a few minutes of looking at the website decides they do want to sign up? They won't know to close the website and re-open it.

I also would love to be able to embed the lightbox form. I embedded the classic form and it looks terrible on Weebly since I only know how to embed it in an iframe, and then when someone signs up the form is still there with the confirmation greeting, all inside a box that has a scroll bar. Really dorky-looking. So... lightbox wins but I'm with everyone else. And for the reason I also stated. Many other nonprofits have nice looking e-mail sign up forms that don't require a lightbox. Emma is way ahead of the game at designing e-mails. I hope designing a sign-up form will take precedence so I can look as professional as all the other high-tech websites (but on a low budget with no web design skills)! Thanks!

P.S. Here's another use case: I have a conference coming up where I might have 20 people sign up for our newsletter. I'd like to keep the form open on one smartphone or laptop and just have people sign up on the same form, but different people. This appears that it cannot be done with Emma's forms. How would that work?
(Edited)
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Shari -- Thanks for sharing! I want to make sure that I'm tuned into all of your needs here so I can pass these requests onto our product team. Can you confirm the following?
  1. You would like your visitors to be able to trigger the lightbox form to appear after they've closed the lightbox.
  2. You would like to be able to embed the lightbox form on your site. Alternatively, you'd like a signup form option to embed that is more lovely and customizable.
For your final use case, have you considered using Guestbook to collect signups at your conference?
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Emily,
Yes, both are correct. I'm not even sure my form is currently showing up. I have a VPN and switched it to a different country and also cleared my cookies and cache, and it still doesn't show up for me. I use Weebly and followed the directions for where to put the code.

Thanks for the info about Guestbook! This looks terrific, though too late for me to set up for this weekend. I'll definitely keep it in mind!

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Do we have an update on this? We'd love a way to trigger the lightbox on click.
I also need a cleaner, embedded form. The current iFrame for classic collection just doesn't fit our website layout.
Thanks!

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I'm concerned we're going to have to build our own forms and use the Emma API to send the collected fields to emma. Not really our first choice, but I think we'd rather go that route rather than use the current iframe.
thanks again!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- We don't have any work for classic or lightbox forms in our current roadmap. We do plan to revisit both of these features down the road, but it sounds like a custom form might be the best fit for your website right now. If you need any help there, give our technical services team a shout!
Photo of Christopher Bevel

Christopher Bevel

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Dear Emma team - 
Please prioritize allowing lightbox form to trigger upon click. We're launching a new site as well, and don't want to auto display form. We haven't added the classic form yet, but based on comments here, it sounds like the design of it would be quite disappointing, and not match Emma's wonderful email design.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey Christopher!  

Thanks so much for adding to the thread.  I'm going to add you to the list for this request.  The more requests we get, the better!  

As far as the classic forms, we do have some upgrades to that coming up soon that will make them a LOT nicer looking.  Stay tuned for that!  

Cheers!

- Grey
Photo of Marena Group, LLC

Marena Group, LLC

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Add me to the request list as well, please!

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Just to verify, did this get built, and do we have the ability to style lightboxes yet?
Thanks!
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  We haven't implemented anything new for Lightboxes yet.  

We still give you the ability to customize color and font for the various elements of the form, but not to fully style or add images or anything yet.  
Photo of Marena Group, LLC

Marena Group, LLC

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
For the record, we've customized the style of our forms with CSS. But if you don't have a programmer on your team, this comment is worthless to you. :(