Trigger automation from CSV import?

• Idea
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Implemented
I use Gravity Forms to capture new leads on my WordPress website. So, I routinely add new members to my Emma mailing lists by importing a CSV file exported out of Gravity Forms. But that also means I am currently using Gravity Forms instead of Emma to send out my welcome email to a new prospect. 

What I'd love to be able to do is trigger a series of welcome emails using Emma (my Emma emails look so much better than the Gravity Form autoresponder and I can track opens and clicks so much better with Emma).

So, is there any way to trigger an automated welcome email series from this CSV import? Or is it in the planning stages? The ability to do this would be huge for me. 

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I could not find it.
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Ted! Rachel let me know to expect this idea from you following today's automation webinar, so I've already given our Product Team a shout. :)

I'll let you know what I find out!
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Can't keep any secrets from you guys, can we? Thx!
;)
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Alternatively, I know from my onsite meeting with Hana in early December that your folks are actively working on a more robust forms product.

While I am wishing out loud, let me just say if your forms could do what Gravity Forms is doing for my lead capture and lead routing, I could switch over to using to your forms (within WordPress) and leave Gravity Forms behind.

And wouldn't it be sweet to have an integrated product to do help me handle leads and emails better?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
We are, indeed, working on more robust forms! I'd love to hear more about what you'd like Emma to do that would help you switch to having everything in your Emma account. Are you up for creating a new conversation here to chat through it? I'm sure you and Hana talked about it together, but I'd love to see how we can drum up interest among other Emma Community members, too. :)

For your automation idea, Gravity Forms is available on Zapier, which means that you could use a Zap to connect your Gravity Form with your Emma account to pass contacts instantly from form to audience.

It's possible to automate a welcome message (or series) using Zapier. Zapier also permits the addition of a Signup ID during the Zap setup process. Including the ID for an Emma signup form (available from any signup form's "publish" options) will ensure that any workflows associated with that form will be sent to new contacts who are added from that Zap. You could also skip a lot of cumbersome export/importing.

We would like to introduce a "trigger from import" feature at some point in the future as well, but we don't have a firm timeline in place. I'm marking this as Under Consideration and will update it as work toward it changes. Thank you for sharing this!
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Hi, Katie:
As I shared with Hana, the WordPress community is now entirely too large for Emma to ignore. An Emma plugin for WordPress to integrate your new forms and email automation tools into WordPress would be an excellent start.

And it would help you to expand your customer base into the WordPress universe. That could be a huge source of new business for Emma.

Second thing, the Gravity Forms WP plug-in allows me to easily configure routing of alert emails to different recipients based on a value contained in a form field. In our specific case, we have 12 different training facilities located in 8 states. Our lead generation forms ask the user to select our closest location from a pulldown list (which is a required field). Depending on which of our 12 locations the user selects, Gravity Forms automatically sends an alert email to the office manager at the correct location containing the details of the lead contact form.

With the capability to configure routing of alert emails to different recipients, I don't have to manually reroute 600-to-800 leads each week to 12 different campus locations for follow-up by our recruiters.

I suppose Zapier would be a workable option,  but quite possibly not an affordable one. I am not opposed to paying for a subscription at Zapier if it adds value to the equation. But according to the Zapier website, their pricing is determined by:
  1. the number of Zaps you have turned on
  2. how many tasks you use in a month
  3. your syncing interval, as well as 
  4. if your zaps use any premium apps. 
Based on the number of leads captured each month by forms on our website (and our Adwords landing pages), and considering our projected rate of growth, a Zapier plan could conceivably approach or exceed the cost of our monthly Emma subscription without creating any new value.

Frankly, I find it difficult to justify increasing costs with a Zapier subscription without adding any additional leads. And, I'd rather spend that money with Emma than with Zapier if I had that choice.

I guess I have 3 takeaways for your consideration:
  1. I suspect a lot of your Emma customers use WordPress to manage their websites.
  2. Likewise, I suspect a lot of your customers use CSV or Excel files to import new members into their mailing lists. 
  3. And, I suspect a lot of your Emma customer businesses have multiple locations.
Emma could easily send out an email to your own customers with a survey to sample and confirm that. And if the need seems big enough, it should help justify an accelerated timeline for development of these capabilities.

FWIW, I'm not advocating that Emma simply duplicate what the Gravity Forms plug-in does -- there is little value in that.  I'm advocating that Emma integrate your new forms and email automation tools with WordPress ***BETTER***  than Gravity Forms. If you can do that, I think Emma can own a big piece of the WordPress community.

BTW, Emma totally rocks it! My 2-centavos-worth... 
Ted
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm so glad you shared this, Ted! I love learning more about your workflow, goals and where the bottlenecks surface. We are getting our WordPress plug-in into better shape.

Zapier offers a free plan that will let you set up five individual connections (or "Zaps") and have those Zaps perform a total of 100 tasks per month with most services. It sounds like you need it to perform more tasks than that, so that would move you into a paid plan with them.

We'll keep your use case in mind as we continue thinking through the "trigger from import" idea, and it's likely we'll give you a shout to bounce some ideas off you as we grow nearer. :)
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Yep! we would use way more than the minimum number of Zapier tasks per month.

BTW, Gravity Forms is a premium, (paid) plug-in for WordPress, but it also requires a user to purchase a full-blown developer license just to integrate with add-ons like Zapier. So, the Gravity Forms to Zapier to Emma solution requires a top-level purchase commitment from all 3 entities.

FWIW, Gravity Forms integrates with several of Emma's competitors (MailChimp, AWeber and Campaign Monitor) with a business license subscription at a lower price point than the developer license required to use the Zapier add-on.

I'm not looking to get something for nothing, but ;like I said, I find it difficult to justify the increasing costs of a Zapier subscription and a major Gravity Forms upgrade without adding any additional leads. 
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey Ted! I want to follow up that our WordPress plugin is now live. :) You can see our help doc here in the Resource Center and the plugin page on WordPress's website.
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Thanks, Katie. I'll dig into it for sure.
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Hi Ted, 

I'm the Product Owner for our integrations here at Emma, and I wanted to let you know that as of today, we have an integration with Gravity Forms live and working! You can find information about it here. Please give it a try and let us know what you think!
(Edited)
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Me so happy !!!!! I've been quietly wishing for this for 2-1/2 years.
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Glad we could give you some good news on a Friday, Ted! Have a great weekend!
Photo of Portland Running Company

Portland Running Company

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Import-triggered Welcome Email.

Using the new Automation workflow, will this setup (see pic below) send the automated welcome email ("Automated We Love to Run") to new additions to my email roster who are added as part of a bulk import (.xls)? I was just wondering if that's the case, because it will apparently be sent to anyone who is added via the "add" button under the "audience" tab...so I thought, well why not via "add import"? 

Portland Running Company

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I don't think it was appropriate to merge my question with this thread. It appears that you've offered Ted a solution that allows him to bypass his CSV imports, am I right? We harvest most of our emails from our point of sale software, so we're always going to have to import those. So, can anyone tell me if the above configuration in the screenshot will send the welcome email to customers whose emails are added via import? Or do I have to use another technique?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! We talked about another solution for Ted in the meantime, but we're definitely still considering triggering an automated mailing based on an import, and this is where we're tracking interest in that idea. I hope it's OK to keep having that conversation here. :)

Portland Running Company

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Of course! Can you clarify--Are you saying that what I've done with my automated workflow in the screenshot will NOT send the welcome email to customers added via import? I used to handle this via a "Date" field that I added to customer cards, and then trigger the send based on the content of this field. Is that still the way to do what I'm trying to do? 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
That's right: In your screenshot, you're saying that you want any contact in your audience who signs up using your default signup form to receive this mailing. That doesn't include people who are added to your audience via an import of a spreadsheet.

It sounds like you're wanting to import a spreadsheet that includes my email address and today's date, and you want your welcome mailing to send to me, say, one day after the import. You'll add a new date column to your spreadsheet and populate it with today's date. After importing, you'll set up a date-based workflow that looks like this:

Portland Running Company

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks! Referring back to my original screenshot. Will that send the welcome email to people who sign up via being forwarded one of our email campaigns? Or people who sign up by clicking through the web version of one of our campaigns? 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Your screenshot is for people who sign up via the form called Your Default Signup form, wherever that form may be -- as a link in your emails or posted on your website.

Portland Running Company

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Katie. So, my automated workflow triggered by someone signing up for our email list works great. Unfortunately, people who are imported are not receiving our automated emails. I wonder if you or someone else at Emma can help me figure out why that's the case. Here are a couple of screenshots. When I import a big list of contacts, I include a "Date" field populated with that day's date. It doesn't seem to be triggering the automated email series, however. Help.

(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey there! We can definitely lend a hand to figure out where the disconnect is. :) I'm moving your post out to a new conversation to give us space to talk it through.

Please reference the new conversation here: Imported contacts aren't receiving automated emails
Photo of MJ Arquette

MJ Arquette

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello! Have there been any moves made to trigger automation on import? Alternatively, does emma offer integration with TravelClick? Thank you!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi MJ -- We haven't done any work regarding import triggers yet, but I will see if I can get an update for you on a potential timeline. Can you let me know what account you're working in so that I can log this request for you? 

We don't currently integrate with TravelClick. Thanks!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
While we don't have a current timeline on this work, it's definitely still something we want to build into automation. So, we'll leave this as Under consideration until I have a solid roadmap to deliver here. Thanks!
Photo of MJ Arquette

MJ Arquette

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you! I am with UVA Inn at Darden. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello folks!   I've got an update for you!  

Today we've released an update to Emma to allow you to trigger a Field Change based workflow from an Import.  

We've added a fancy new check box to the bottom of the import screen to let you tell Emma that you'd like to check the import for Field Changes that would trigger a workflow!  

This is now live on all Emma accounts!   Check out my RELEASE NOTES from today or our RESOURCE CENTER article for how to build Field Change Triggered Automation Workflows.  

Cheers!

- Grey 
Photo of Washington State Fair

Washington State Fair

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does this also work for new emails added via a .CSV import, and not just records that already existed and have a field change? I set it up to do this for new emails added from the import and it did not work.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there!   It DOES NOT work for new emails added, as they wouldn't have a field CHANGE.  

Some folks will create a separate column in their spreadsheet and then run the import twice.   For example, if I set my automation to fire when a field turns from NO to YES.  

You would want to have 2 columns on your spreadsheet, one that says NO, one that says YES.  Then you would do 2 imports:

1. The first import you would want to run as an "ADD ONLY".  This will add any new contacts, and you can map that column that says "NO" into the trigger field.  

2. Then you would want to run the import again on "ADD AND UPDATE" and map the "YES" column.  

It's a bit of a workaround, but the intention there is to get folks who's field changed, not new contacts, so that's how folks have made it work for them.  
Photo of Esly Carvalho

Esly Carvalho

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello, I've setup an automation that has a signup based trigger when I import CSV files but the trigger isn't working. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Esly, are you referring to the workflow named "Nível 1 (04/2017)"  .  

That is set as a "Signup Trigger", which is different from a "Field Change Trigger"  

In order to trigger a workflow via import, you must use the "Field Change Trigger".  As such, the contacts do have to be a member of your Audience already, in order for the Field Change to register.  

Some folks have created workflows and will do 2 separate imports, one to get the contacts into the account, and then a 2nd import to change the field, thus triggering the workflow.  You could try that perhaps as well.
Photo of Fire Police City County FCU

Fire Police City County FCU

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We too are not seeing CSV files trigger the automated emails. We've tried both field change and new signups and neither is triggering our automated e-statement welcome email.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there.  I think they key for you may be in what I mentioned above.  I'll copy here:

In order to trigger a workflow via import, you must use the "Field Change Trigger".  As such, the contacts do have to be a member of your Audience already, in order for the Field Change to register.  

Some folks have created workflows and will do 2 separate imports, one to get the contacts into the account, and then a 2nd import to change the field, thus triggering the workflow.  You could try that perhaps as well.

Taking a look at your audience, I only saw 3 contacts that had a "Y" in the field set as the field change trigger.  2 of them were added on the 20th, and the 3rd had been in your audience previously, which it looks like that change DID trigger the automation for that contact.  

Based on that, it seems that the workflow is working correctly, but to trigger, you may want to import the contacts first WITHOUT mapping that field, then run the import again, this time mapping the trigger field.  That way it's an actual CHANGE, and not the contact being added.  

Let me know if you have any additional questions!