Trouble aligning margin of text with line

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
I'm having trouble getting the format right on this mailing I'm working on.

Here's the print version of our announcement to give an idea of the margin we're trying to get (with the line going to the left of the text). 

However, in Emma, it seems that photos and text are treated differently when it comes to margins and so the text is going to the left of the lines:

Any idea how to fix this?  Thanks!
Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there! I think I accomplished what you're looking for using the indent button on the formatting toolbar!

Here's what that looks like:

Let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That's exactly what I needed - thanks!
Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi again,

I realized I'm having another issue with lines, and I hope it's another easy fix.  The full screen version looks great:
However, on the mobile version, the bottom line doesn't match up:

I'm not sure what is causing that.  Can you help?  Thanks!
(Edited)

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- Another easy fix. :)

In the editor and in Preview for the largest screen size, those lines looked to be the same length, but on closer inspection they weren't quite lined up. Those lines are really just text, so they can be tricky to match up exactly. To ensure they were the same length, I simply copied the first line and pasted it over that second line. I also made sure they had the same margin from the left border. Now here's what I see in mobile Preview for my Emma Copy of your mailing: 

Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi again,

Well, I messed up the mailing when trying to extend the line length.  When I copied the upper longer line and pasted it over the lower one, it pasted without the same formatting (a black line instead, and smaller font).  Is there a way to copy and paste within a mailing and keep the formatting?
Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Actually, I was just able to fix it (and the length was right this time), but I'd still love to know about pasting with formatting from one part to another (I just manually entered the proper color after pasting).  Thanks!
Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
While we're at it, here's another thing I haven't been able to figure out.  I've tried searching for the answer, but I don't know how to explain it without a picture.  My mailing is close to what I want, except that I'd like to move the right margin of the "Larry Rivkin" paragraph in a bit (so that the "in" and the "a" at the end of the lines are on the next line).  I didn't want to put in a hard return since I was worried that might wrap funny on different devices.  Is there a way to bump that in without changing anything else in that block?  Sorry for all the questions - I'm just feeling a bit lost.
Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
And one more thing (I apologize if this is too many questions for one topic, but they are all related to aligning the text).

Here's the other problem I'm having: when I create the mailing and preview it, it looks like how I want it with Lindsay's section centered vertically with her picture:

However, on the mailing I actually receive through a test email, her text is aligned to the top!  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Here's the picture of the email:

Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Last comment (for today, anyway).   I just had a helpful call with tech support, and I'm just commenting here so I'll remember the answers:

1) To copy and paste with formatting, select and copy what you want, and then in the text options (top of yellow box), select "text pasting" and then choose "with formatting". Then paste what you want and the formatting will be preserved

2) I was told there isn't a way to adjust that right margin, but that I could use shift enter to force a break.  I had worried that was a bad idea (particularly with people reading things on different devices), but was told it was fine as long as everything looked good with the preview.  Note that the hard return looks funny in the text only view, so I'll need to adjust that separately.

3) As for the goofy display on the version received by email, it turns out to be a thing with Outlook 2010 only (tech support was able to run the test through many different email programs).  Nothing to do about that, unfortunately.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- I'm glad you were able to work out some of these issues over the phone! Just let me know if you run into any more bumps with formatting your mailing.
Photo of R&R

R&R

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I think I'm set now.  As always, I'm very impressed with your tech support!