Lost content when working in editor.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Didn't hear back from community member

Had composed an email made up of multiple image and text blocks. When entering preview mode only three of the blocks appeared, but the other were still there in compose mode. Decided to save and exit, and when I went back in all my other blocks were gone apart from the three I could see in preview before.

Anyway to get the other blocks back?! I really don't want to have to start again.

After using emma for a week I'm getting really frustrated by the bugs in the editor.

Macintosh OS X 10.10.3
Chrome 41.0.2272.74
Photo of 59E59 Theaters

59E59 Theaters

• 17 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I hate to hear that you're frustrated by your experience in the application. More than anything, I want to get to the bottom of what might be causing these setbacks.

Thanks for passing along the info about the hardware and browser you're using. I did some testing in your account today to see if I could replicate the issue but so far haven't been able to. I'd love to get a little more information about your workflow to see if we can piece this together. Would you mind anwering a few questions for me?

1. Do you remember how long you had been logged into the application before saving and exiting?
  2. Do you have an idea of how long you were working in this mailing before you logged out?
  3. Was this a brand new mailing or a copy of another draft?
  4. When building your mailing, did you drag in new content blocks from the sidebar or use "copy this block" option to duplicate existing blocks?
Thanks in advance! Any other details you remember about building this mailing or your workflow in general would be helpful!

I see that we have your phone number on file. If you would prefer to talk through your process, just let me know here. I'd be happy to reach out tomorrow morning!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi again -- Just checking in here. If you have any more information on this, I'd love to dig in!
Hello,

Something similar JUST happened to me. I had an email 90% completed (it was a copy from another email) and I had been hitting save throughout. Then I hit the back button and half the blocks disappeared. I tried to go forward and nothing happened, tried stepping back a couple times and it stayed the same. I was getting really frustrated in the editor any way (I always have trouble with the text format buttons not working) so I decided to just take a break and logout. When I logged back in everything, but the header was gone. I also don't want to start over, is there any way I can get that work back? 

I am also using Chrome on an updated Mac. Please let me know if there's anything I can do!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hello there -- I hate to hear that you lost your work! Unfortunately, there isn't a way to recover lost content. If an entire mailing is deleted manually, we can recover that from the deleted items section of your account. This is a bit different though, and while we can't recover the progress you made on that mailing, we can do our best to diagnose what might have happened!

First, did you hit the back button on your browser window or the "undo" button in the editor? Were you trying to undo an edit or simply navigate back to the Campaigns page?

I understand the editor was giving you a bit of trouble formatting text, and I have heard similar reports from customer working with pasted text. Do you remember if you pasted in text that was formatted or plain text?

Thanks for working with me here!
Hi Emily,

I was using the "undo" button. I clicked it couple times, waiting for the page to reload each time, and it didn't seem to be working. I thought, well, I had saved my work before (had even sent a test email), so if I just close this and come back, maybe the last step I saved would be up which would have been fine. Instead, everything was gone.

And in terms of text, I do both copy/paste formatted text and write my own in. I know that the formatted text causes problems and know the general tips to avoid them, that's just kind of annoying on it's own that you need to do anything to it at all. Something I've seen people complain about on here is the bold, italics and underlined buttons not working well. Not sure if this is a good or bad tip, but I've noticed that if you use the command keys on a Mac keyboard, formatting goes much smoother. For example, highlighting text and then hitting "Command + B" making it bold or unbold always works, whereas you feel like you click the "B" what must by a hundred times and nothing changes. 

And I understand that I can't recover it, thanks for trying to help! Technology is a blessing and curse! Thanks for trying!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi -- The undo button can be a little slow to respond, so I think it's likely that all of the "undos" you did eventually went through, essentially undoing more than you intended. :) Each click of the undo button will revert a single action made in the editor. 

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure some of our other users will find that handy!
Photo of Optimum Solutions, Inc

Optimum Solutions, Inc

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi there,

I am having a similar issue - I tried to add a row, then clicked undo. All but the top block disappeared. However, when I view the preview tab, all the of text boxes show up but the images are still missing.

I've tried Chrome & Firefox and on a Mac as well. This newsletter is supposed to go tomorrow so a quick resolve would be ideal.

Thanks

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I do aplogize for my delay in reaching out here! I hope you were able to get your mailing looking good and out on time. I'd still love to dig in to see if I can pinpoint what happened. Can you direct me to the mailing you were working in and answer these questions for me?
  1. Do you remember how long you had been logged into the application before this happened?
  2. Do you have an idea of how long you were working in this mailing before you clicked undo?
  3. Was this a brand new mailing or a copy of another draft?
  4. When building your mailing, did you drag in new content blocks from the sidebar or use "copy this block" option to duplicate existing blocks?
Thanks in advance! Any other details you remember about building this mailing or your workflow in general would be helpful!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi again -- Just checking in here. I'm not sure that removing a row is expected behavior for the Undo button. Next time, turning the row back off rather than using the undo button will be a more guaranteed bet!
Photo of NeedLink Nashville

NeedLink Nashville

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I too lost an image and a button while using the Distillery District template today in Google Chrome. I went to preview and no button, no graphic. Returned to preview, there they are, tried a test send, no button, no graphic. Logged out, logged in on Firefox, and graphic and button were gone.

I had inserted multiple images from the Drag & Drop into the right-hand column, under the button. One image remained. (Weird, right?)

Anyway, easy fix. But I thought you would want to know since it seems like a problem that more than one person has had.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks for chiming in here! We definitely don't like to hear about lost content of any time. I'm curious, did you use the back button or undo button at any point when working in the editor. I know that the undo button can seem slow to respond, and I wonder if your browser was delayed in showing you the most recent version of your mailing. 

Just a theory! Thanks :)