View campaigns without creating drafts

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Why can't you view sent campaigns without creating a draft and/or copies? Does anyone know how to do this or at least how to keep it from showing back up in our draft folder?
Photo of Bricker & Eckler

Bricker & Eckler

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Great question! When you send a campaign using the Review & Send button instead of the Send Test button, the campaign is moved to the Sent tab. The reason is so that the version of your campaign you sent is preserved exactly as it went out to your audience.

A copy is created when you click on a campaign from the Sent tab so that you don't disrupt the version that was sent. You can work from that copy if you'd like, but it sounds like what your workflow might be is that you're sending a campaign via Review & Send to check out how it looks, and then when you want to keep working on it, you find it on the Sent tab and a copy is created. If that's the case, you'll want to instead use the Send Test tab, which keeps your campaign on the Draft tab without creating copies.

If you're wanting to simply view the campaign you sent -- say, you can't remember the main image you used -- I suggest going to the Response page, clicking on the campaign and then clicking the online version in the lefthand column. You can view the campaign without interfering with what was created on the Campaigns page.

I hope this information helps, but please let me know if I'm not quite hitting upon your process!
Photo of Aspire

Aspire

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the same question regarding sending the same campaign without having a copy of the email added to the campaign list.  Our workflow involves sending the same campaign multiple times over a course of a month or so to different groups. 

So I guess the question I have is how do you send the same campaign without having creating a draft every time?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! You will need to create a draft each time. You may not have noticed, but each mailing you work on has a unique ID, which displays in the URL while you’re working in the editor. It’ll look something like this: https://app.e2ma.net/app2/campaigns/create/123456789/, where the last chunk of numbers is the ID. That ID helps us track the mailing, apply the response data to it, stop that particular mailing from sending if need-be, etc. The only way to create a unique ID is to create a separate instance of each mailing.
Photo of Aspire

Aspire

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does these mean if I want to schedule the same email to be sent at 10am, 11am, 12pm and 1pm. to four different lists four drafts/copied for the same email will been created and be listed in the drafts/sent/scheduled tab as they get processed?

I assume this to be the case, I am trying to figure out the best way to manage the clutter on the draft and send pages for these reoccurring sends.

Thanks
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
That’s right, you’ll need to create a copy of the mailing for each send. I’m curious: Are you sending the same mailing separately because you want to track each group’s response data separately?
Photo of Aspire

Aspire

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes - In the above example we broke larger list into smaller ones to hopefully eliminate a flood of call to our call center all at once but instead spread it over a period of time. But typically the list is different for each send but the email content is still applicable and does not need to be edited for each send and send response needs to be reviewed for opt outs etc, so we can update that information in our systems.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Gotcha! It sounds like this feature idea would really help you out, if you’d like to add your vote to it.

A way now to split up your send using one email would be to use split testing. This way, the email would be sent to 20% of your recipients for the first four hours while the test ran, and then the 80% remaining would be sent the email. Not quite the four sections you’re seeking, but it may be an option.

What's your outside system you’re using to track opt-outs? With our Salesforce integration, each contact’s status (Active, Error or Opt-Out) is synced so there isn’t a manual process for you to make that change.
Photo of Aspire

Aspire

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info, that sound like a feature that potentially would have some use for us.
Photo of MBH&H

MBH&H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi - we are suffering this same frustration as well.  I get the original, official reply (preserving the original version sent) - but why not come up with a 'view only' option?  For example, our company created a one-off mailing a year or so ago, and went looking for it recently for ideas for another mailing.  Rather than create dozens of "Untitled Mailings" as we searched each sent mailing, couldn't we just opt to 'view only' - without the possibility of altering the original mailing?  Seems like an idea whose time has come...
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated! I want to make sure to get to the crux of it: I understand you'd like to be on your main Campaigns page and click to view a mailing without opening the mailing or creating a copy of it. Is this because:
  1. you want to see what the mailing looks like to decide whether this is the mailing you're seeking, or
  2. you want to see which template you used so you can make edits to it?
It sounds from this conversation like the latter is what you're after, but I want to make sure I'm on the same page about how you're referring to the mailing vs. the template (the mailing is the text and images placed over top of the template stationery). It seems that your workflow has you checking out past mailings to see which one you want to create a copy of to work from, and that has you looking at several mailings to find the right one -- Is that right?

We used to have a View Only button on the Campaigns page next to each mailing for that purpose, and it didn't make it into the next iteration of our Campaigns page. I'm not totally sure why that was, but I can find out!

I wonder, too, if this feature would help you narrow down what you're looking for. We haven't built it yet, as you can see, but I thought we might be working toward a tool that would help with the frustration of not finding what you're seeking.

Either way, I look forward to hearing back from you to learn more about your needs! Thanks so much for sharing this here.
(Edited)
Photo of MBH&H

MBH&H

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Katie -

Correct; we want to view the mailing to see if "this is the one" and/or see which template was used.  This is not the same as viewing each template (about which I have created the other post) to determine what to use; it is when we are looking at one-off mailings.

The feature you mentioned is a good idea, but I'm not *quite* sure if it would solve our problem completely (this one or the view templates one) - I'll have to ponder it further.  All said, it would be great just to bring back the "View Only" button that was there in the first place, since we've become accustomed to using it (ergo the learning curve would be diminished).

Thanks for the prompt response.

Best,

Kelly
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thank you for these details, Kelly! I spoke with our Product Team, and the View option we talked about is no longer available because now that you can re-send previously sent mailings, we didn't want to offer a View option (which was a link to the mailing's webview) that may or may not be in sync with the current state of the mailing. It’s likely that you'll have made changes since your last send, changes that wouldn't have updated the webview yet since the webview is only generated once a mailing is sent.

I know that doesn't resolve your desire for wanting the webview on the Campaigns page, yet I hope this helps explain why there isn't a preview to capture and link to. I'm really glad you brought this up because I wasn't clear on it before, either!
Photo of Compass Records

Compass Records

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
is there a view option now? it is incredibly frustrating.  sometimes i want to view the email because i want to copy an element from it to use in something else.  everytime i do this, i have to choose "edit" or "copy" which either makes a totally useless copy or makes it look as though i've updated the email even if i've made no changes!  please bring back the view option!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Compass Records -- adding a "view" option isn't in our current product roadmap, but I'll add a feature request for this functionality on your behalf!
Photo of Compass Records

Compass Records

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
is there any other workaround? this is seriously disrupting our work flow.  whenever i view a campaign in order to copy some language or verify an image, it now looks as though that campaign was edited, even if i made no changes.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Compass Records, I'm sorry that this is giving you so much trouble. There isn't really a workaround here because there simply isn't a way to glance at a mailing without opening it. This will save the email and move it to the top of the queue, which I've let our product team know is not ideal for your workflow.

Using a dated naming convention for your mailings may help you to identify which one you're looking for without opening them up. However, if you need to copy elements of a mailing there isn't a way to do that without opening the mailing. Even if we implement a "view" option of some kind, it would likely be a rendering of your email, like a snapshot for quick reference and not something that you could manipulate as you can in the editor.