We sent an email this morning with a link to YouTube (instead of embedding) and the link is throwing a weird error when it is clicked

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not a Problem
We sent an email this morning with a link to YouTube (instead of embedding) and the link is throwing a weird error when it is clicked about not having the right app to open.  

The error says "There is no application set to open the URL applewebdata://F381E1BC-2373-4A10-8A01-68906F4A62D1/%5B%25%20link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaQEuywY5ro%20name=."

This seems to be more of an issue in Outlook than other browsers, but we have had no reported clicks on the link which leads me to believe there is a problem.

Any idea why this is happening?  Is there anything we can do to fix it in the email that was sent, or would we have to send a correction?
Photo of Trinity Healthcare Staffing Group

Trinity Healthcare Staffing Group

  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Sam Collis

Sam Collis, Customer Support Specialist

  • 252 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there!

That error you're running into is occurring because of settings at the mail client or browser level that are looking to open links in an application that is either undefined or doesn't exist.  You're more or less correct in that this is something that happens when a mailing is opened in Outlook but it has also been reported as something that can occur using Apple Mail.  For folks using Apple Mail there's an apparent fix which is to change your default browser to Safari and then back to whatever you were using, sort of resetting how links are directed.  In regards to Outlook, as far as I can this is something that others have reported and there may be a fix somewhere within your settings.

I don't think this error is going to occur for everyone opening your mailing on Outlook, it's possible, it's hard to be sure but there doesn't look to be anything wrong with the link itself.  I'm also not entirely sure why it's this particular link that's throwing that error.  I sent myself a test copy and in Gmail it was working as normal.

It's probably worth making sure all your software is up to date, especially your browser(s) and mail client and check any settings you may have in Outlook in regards to how it treats links.

You won't be able to alter that link within the inbox of your readership, I don't think resending that mailing will achieve anything as this issue is occurring at the local mail client level and isn't something that Emma is doing or can be fixed within Emma. 

Hope that sheds a bit of light here!