What is counted as an email open?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL Clean up

What counts as having opened my email campaign?
Photo of FAQ

FAQ

• 44 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Emails are counted as opened when the images are downloaded from our server, which is the industry standard for tracking emails. This means that if the images are downloaded in a preview pane (or viewed in entirety in the whole campaign), then this will count as an open.

If someone has images blocked, that will not be counted as an open. In that case, those people would be counted only if they either loaded their images or clicked on a link in the campaign.

And if someone views the plaintext-only version of your campaign (for example, from a Blackberry), it'll only be counted as opened if they visit a link in the campaign.

The industry average open rate is about 20-25%. The Email Stat Center provides stats on all kinds of response averages.
Photo of PCS Mobile

PCS Mobile

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I viewed an email that I had created in my Outlook viewing panel and downloaded the images, but it still doesn't show as an "open" in the responses. It only shows as delivered This is in contrast to your answer above. I didn't click on any links, but your answer implies I don't have to. Can you help?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I’m glad to take a look! Will you please let me know the name of the email, the version of Outlook you’re using and your name?
Photo of PCS Mobile

PCS Mobile

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ellen Smith
email name: National IPA Welcome - July 2014
Outlook vers is 14.0.7128.5000 (32 bit)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks, Ellen! I don’t have Outlook, so I tested your email with my preview panel in Mac Mail, and I was counted as having opened it. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of how that email appears for you in your preview panel?

Also, I don't think this would matter, but version 14 is for Outlook 2010/11. Are you able to update to a more recent version?
Photo of RadioTVDeals

RadioTVDeals

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I send emails to my hotmail account, for example, they are already opened for me.  Has Emma done research to find out how many people have email accounts that perform this way?

Because they are already opened in my hotmail account, does or can Emma count that as an "open"???

Thanks,
Sandi Bergman
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Sandy -- Can you clarify for me what you mean by "already opened"... are you seeing your email in a preview pane? Do all of your emails come in already marked as "read"? Thanks in advance for the additional info!
Photo of RadioTVDeals

RadioTVDeals

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I click on the newsletter email in the inbox, the newsletter is already displayed without having to download pictures.  I do not recall ever going to a setting in that Hotmail account to select whether or not I want pictures to automatically download.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Ah - yes, you're on the right track there. If pictures download automatically, then the email is already "opened". In short, two actions -- viewing the images in your email, or clicking through to your website using one of your mailing's links -- are trackable as opens. So, it's less about the email client your recipients use and has more to do with their individual email settings and how they interact with your mailing (like clicking through).
Photo of RJ Weekly Digest - 53880-85

RJ Weekly Digest - 53880-85

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How are open rates obtained?.

I just read that in order to count toward the open rate percentage for an email campaign, a reader has to download the pictures in the email. Is that true? If not, what does EMMA count as "opened" for an email? What if someone views the email in a preview pane? Thanks!
Photo of Team RWB

Team RWB

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is a web view counted as an e-mail open?.

We post a link to our weekly newsletter web view in our Facebook group each week. Is that counted as an open? Thanks very much.
Photo of thao hoang

thao hoang

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So if all campaign are successfully delivered but no images downloaded from the server or links click does that campaign classify as unopened ie if I have a campaign with lots of images and text?

Also If some email ie hotmail automatically download these images & this tracks as opened? How genuine can these response stats be?

I have a sub-account who says they never received the campaign but their contact history says they opened it when they tell me they did not (my guess is their email system automatically downloaded the images from the server)