What's Going On?!

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: resolved

What's happened to the editor?!

Both the Campaign and Template editor have changed significantly, all of our templates we build in html that worked perfectly have changed into code we haven't written.

We have a number of emails due to go out tomorrow and we are unable to edit our existing templates because they've all changed!

We did not request this change. Please revert back or give us a solution.
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • Furious

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
And now the server is down...
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Why are you forcing me to add code?

I now can't build campaigns in the campaign builder, anything that was editable is now not editable, it looks like you want me to build my campaign in the template editor.
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ok... So I can  build new campaigns in the ASSETS area, but not in the Campaigns area? Why?
(Edited)
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Key Blue -- We did just flip on our new drag and drop Template and Campaign builder yesterday, and are planning to announce that release shortly. I do apologize for that surprise. Can you tell me what you mean by your template code changing or point me to a specific template to take a look at? The only change you should see is more options for starting a new template, as you now have access to our full gallery and can build template by either using the drag and drop editor or the code your own html, as it sounds like you're already familiar with using.

We're keeping you updated on the intermittent errors here. Please follow that conversation for updates to your inbox as we have them!
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Emily, here's how we used to do things:

We used to code up a template using HTMl and all of the placeholders needed to make these templates editable in the campaign builder. That way we had templates and could edit the text or images as needed. This worked great.

Now we are unable to edit any of our existing campaigns in the campaign builder (under the 'Campaigns' tab), nor are we able to build new ones in the same way. I'm trying to build a campaign using the 'Audi eNews 2 Listing' template.

If I go to the 'Campaigns' tab and click 'Create a new Campaign' I can choose any of my existing templates, but none of the editable text or image areas work. The text in the first listing I managed to add in the 'Template Builder'. Normally here I could click on this text or the image boxes and edit.

If I go into 'Assets' and click the 'Campaigns' tab, it lets me create a new campaign there BUT... Pressing the </> HTML button for the editable text areas no longer works?

By my code changing I mean this code below we did not write like this. Ours was clean and in blocks, this seems to have all sorts going on that we did not write:

Building a new template is out of the question. We are also not interested in the 'Drag and Drop' editor as we want more flexibility than this.

To make things worse we have 11 campaigns we need to build and send out tomorrow. Please advise asap.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- I understand everything looks a bit different, so I'll do my best here to make sure you know what is different and how it affects you. 

First, I want to make sure we're on the same page. Am I following along correctly here? You're attempting to open existing campaigns and build new campaigns under the main Campaigns tab using templates you created in Template Builder but are unable to do so. 

You're using the 'Audi eNews 2 Listing' template, correct? Can you tell me which subaccount you're using that template in?

Thanks! We'll be able to dig in further with that information.
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Emily,

That's right - It's under the Spire account.

After some digging we found that templates we haven't edited since the switch over do in fact work fine in the Campaigns tab.

Essentially now it looks like all of our existing HTML templates have had the code changed in some way since the switch, so if we try and edit a template in the template builder or even open and then just save an existing template, the editable fields stop working in the Campaigns tab.

That template in question our developer literally changed some spacing by a few pixels, he was confused by the code change, went ahead and saved, got the pop up, added code as suggested and now that template can no longer be amended in the Campaigns tab.

Thanks

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Ok - Now we're getting somewhere :) So, you're working in the Spire Communications subaccount. 

So your developer added the [% layout %] and [% flexible %] tags to the template which then resulted in the campaign not being editable? Which mailing are you working in specifically? You can open that mailing but can't make any text or image changes to those hardcoded elements?

Thanks!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
So, as you've noticed, the drag & drop Template Builder won’t let you save a template without a drag and drop region - specifically, the [% layout id="2" %][% flexible name="Primary" %][%/ flexible %][%/ layout %] tags. Here are the steps our product team suggests for adding that flexible region:
1) Paste in this row beneath the final closing row of their template code:

<tr>

<td align="left" valign="top">

[% layout id="2" %][% flexible name="Primary" %][%/ flexible %][%/ layout %]

</td>

</tr>      

2) Paste your updated template code into the Code view in Template Builder

3) Switch over to the HTML view and delete out the default placeholder content that will populate and

4) Then save the template

In the meantime, we're digging in on this specific template and will let you know what we find!
(Edited)
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This mailing is 'Audi Le Mans'.

Ok - So could he have been trying to build this in the drag and drop editor and not the HTML view?

I'm just having a go at building a new one - What is the reason for the code changing? I have so many tags and bits of code we've never written ourselves.
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
So if I'm right in thinking - If I just want this to be a static HTML template, so no drag and drop, can we continue building as we used to?

I just stumbled on the fact you can format text and add images to the template and save - That's quite nifty!
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've gone here and clicked 'code your own':

But even after placing in a template I know already works it still wants me to add that 'flexible' code:

If we can solve this I think we're almost there...
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ok I did what you said and no more pop up... It saves and I can see my template.

Let me do some testing - Are you able to confirm my latest template 'New Emma Test Template' is looking good your end?

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey - Glad we're making progress! If you're able to open and edit your template in a campaign, then I'd say it's good to go! If you do have a problem where you create a mailing from a subaccount, with an old template and can't edit any of the text or image blocks, it may be due to the template being locked on code view in Template Builder.

I'd suggest going into assets, editing the template, switching to code view, clicking the lock to unlock it and saving. Let me know if need anything else!

I also wanted to mention that we'll be properly announcing the release of this new feature today. You should be receiving an email with a video that further explains the expanded functionality of the drag and drop Template Builder! You can also check out our resource documentation for Template Builder and Campaign Builder!
Photo of Key Blue

Key Blue

• 47 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I think we're there Emily!

That video did explain a lot actually, I may have more questions tomorrow, but for now I have that template working just like before.

Thank you!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi -- just wanted to let you know that our developers released a fix so that you no longer have to add the [% layout %] and [% flexible %] tags to your template code in order to save it!