When adding a birthday field, do you have to include the year?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
We are adding the birthday field to our audience, and we do not have the year of birth for everyone, is there a way to bypass the year drop down?
Photo of Erika

Erika

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Erika! With the birthday field info, are you going to be using this data to setup an auto-responder to send some Happy Birthday wishes? If so, you would need to use the date field and include the year since Emma only recognizes date auto-responders based upon month, date and year. 

Hopefully this helps clarify that field format, but please let me know if you have any questions.
Photo of UIC Women in Science & Enginering

UIC Women in Science & Enginering

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Can you please clarify how to set up the birthday field from an import? I keep trying to import and Emma tells me I have it set up wrong. Thanks! JSTR: The field is set up at dd/mm/yyyyy and I'm using the date picker field.
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hello! It sounds like you've got everything setup correctly. Can you please upload the Excel file to your document library? I can then take a look to test to see what I run into when trying to import.

Thanks!

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks! Just uploaded it.
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Thank you! I uploaded a new one there to your document library which starts with TEST. It looks like the formatting for that date column was set to just the month and date. I updated the formatting to the 01/01/2014 format. That should do the trick, but please let me know if you run into any troubles.

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Still getting this error message:
There was an error in your file. Date 'Birthday' on line 0 is not in any allowed format. Please fix it and try again.
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Sorry for the trouble there and I'm not certain why that error is coming up for you. The only thing I can think of is not selecting to skip the header row when you're on the mapping fields step. When you have a header row you'll want to be sure to select that box to skip that row since it contains info you're importing to Emma. I imported that file into a group called EMMA TESTING with no problem. The only field I didn't map was the UIN as I didn't see which Emma member field that could correlate with. Hopefully this helps, but please let me know if I can assist further.

Thanks!
Photo of Erika

Erika

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank You Tyler, yes we are using it to send birthday emails.
Thank you so much for the clarification!
Photo of Josh Surridge

Josh Surridge

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Are the field parameters set under all circumstances - requiring the date picker to have dd/mm/yyyy, or can we drop the year? This thread mentions year is required for auto-response but our intention is just to export the data and add it into a membership database. Can we drop the year?
Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi there,

You aren't required to put in a year, but you would have to make a custom field that was not a Date picker field. If you are not using it for automation, then you are fine just using a short answer field and leaving off the year.