Intermittent slowness and loading in the Emma app

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: issue resolved

Hi Emma,

FYI that I'm getting the white screen of doom again this afternoon.  It started right after sending out an email.

Using latest version of Chrome.
Photo of Cameron Parkins

Cameron Parkins

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • sad

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Cameron -- Thanks for letting us know. We're seeing this intermittently on our end as well and are monitoring closely. I'll be sure to reach out here when I know more!
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I've just finished a conversation concerning Thursday afternoon's system interruption with our Director of Engineering. First of all, I am sorry that you, our users, had an unpleasant experience while working in Emma this week. We take performance and stability very seriously here and are actively working to improve the user experience.

The application interruptions that our users experienced Wednesday and Thursday were caused by an infrequently used database query which created a higher than acceptable load on one of our databases. As that script was sluggish to complete it's process, other database queries were unable to complete the task they are expected to accomplish and began to stack up in a waiting queue. This resulted in slow page load times for some users and total system interruptions for others. We have since modified how our system responds to that type of data request. We expect the this change will prevent a repeat event from occurring. We are also reviewing our system for any like processes that could cause a similar event and will take appropriate action to provide a more stable user experience.

Read on if you would like more detail:
In May 2014 we made a change in how Emma gathers and presents response data to our users in the desktop Emma application, as well as in the Metric app for iphone and Android devices. For any mailing sent after May 2014, that response data is automatically gathered using our updated processes. For any mailing sent prior to May 2014, we only run their response data through the new process when a user views that specific mailing's response information. That process of re-running the response data for mailings sent prior to May 2014 was at the root of the database overload experienced this week. A command used in the transition to a new aggregate mailing response system has been removed to prevent this event in the future. We know that re-populating that response data in bulk is not as critical now (14 months later) as it was in the months immediately after the change. As always, users are still able to view mailing response data for any emails sent within the last 18 months and that data for mailings sent prior to May 2014 is still accurate as presented in your account.
(Edited)