Why do email addresses get moved to error from active?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Several of our members have reported they are not receiving our blasts. I see that their email addresses have been automatically placed in the 'error' category for some reason. Can you tell my why this would be happening?
Photo of Toluca Lake Tennis & Fitness Club

Toluca Lake Tennis & Fitness Club

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Sure, I'm glad to shed some light! An email address moves from Active to Error status when it bounces in a sent campaign. A bounced email is essentially an email that the receiving server didn't accept and it "bounced" back.
  • A soft bounce is usually more temporary in nature: an
    overflowing inbox, a temporary server problem, etc. Soft bounces remain
    in Active status and will be tried again the next mailing. If they fail
    to get through for four consecutive mailings, soft bounces are then
    moved to Error status.
  • A hard bounce indicates a more serious delivery issue: The
    recipient's address is invalid, the server is rejecting your email as
    junk mail, etc. Hard bounces are immediately moved to the Error bin of
    your list for you to deal with accordingly. They won't be emailed again
    unless you re-activate them.
There are some steps suggested here to take to make it less likely that an email address will bounce.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!
Photo of All World Travel & tours-

All World Travel & tours-

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in a quandry. I think I know the answer but want to pass on the response from the experts to those involved. I have about 14 in a group that are not getting blasts. The response results show that all of the group went and they should have it. Out of 52, all were received, 36 opened and the others...who knows? What can I tell them to look for on their end to rectify this. We have checked addresses numerous times.
Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
For the 14 email addresses who report having not received your mailing, I'd recommend doing a little sleuthing in the audience section of your account to see if that's really the case. Sometimes people say they have not received when actually their email server has accepted the message. To check on this, just type or paste each one of the MIA email addresses in search box in the top right corner of the audience page, then view the response history for that address. That way you can find out if their server accepted the email. We've published detailed instructions for viewing an individual's response history here.

There are additional steps you can take to increase the odds these 14 people get your emails in the future, and since these things will boost your overall delivery results, they are definitely worth your while. So check out these recent Community topics to learn more:

https://community.myemma.com/emma/top...

https://community.myemma.com/emma/top...

You'll be a delivery expert in no time, I promise!
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Katie, after each mailing I moving all of my error contacts to active and just delete those with 4 or more hard bounces. Is this a bad idea?
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Cynthia! I'm forking this out to a new conversation for us to address because I bet lots of other folks have this question, too. :) We're thinking through this to put an answer together for you. Please reference the new topic here: Should I delete contacts in Error status?
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie! I'm having a similar issue with one of our clients - they have 2 emails that keep getting errors every week, yet they are receiving the emails. How can we remedy this?
Thanks!
Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi Jennifer! It sounds like you may be experiencing soft bounces with those. Generally the soft bounce will bounce back but then still go through. Do the 2 email addresses show up in the error tab after the mailing?
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Laura, 
Yes, they receive the email every week but appear in the Error tab every week after it's sent. Is there a way to make sure they don't fall in that tab? Thanks!
Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi Jennifer
It sounds like we need to pull some reply codes for you. I called and left a message for you with Adam James. Give us a call and we will get this sorted.