Why do my "test" emails never arrive at their destination?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
When I send a "Test" email to someone it never arrives. Yes, they have checked their spam filter and junk mail box.
Photo of Phoenix

Phoenix

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
I'm sorry to hear you're sad! I checked out the most recent test campaign on your Response page. It's showing as having been received, but since your recipient is reporting not having received it, I think I know what's happening.

When Emma reaches out to deliver your email campaign, she makes contact with each recipient's server. If the server tells Emma to go away, the email address is marked as having bounced on the Response page. If the server tells Emma to come right in, the email is marked as having been received, and that's where Emma's job ends. But if the server later changes its mind and decides not to deliver the email after all, Emma has no way of detecting that. This is what looks to be occurring.

Even though your email appears to come from a familiar address, it's really sent on Emma's sending domain (e2ma.net). An email that appears to pose as someone else is a common spamming technique, but in this case, it's OK because it's coming from Emma.

There are a couple steps you can take to let your server know that it's OK to deliver emails sent on Emma's domain:
  1. Ask your IT Department to whitelist Emma's sending domain and IP range, found at the bottom of this link, if you're having internal delivery issues.
  2. For external delivery woes -- which you don't seem to be having, but this step never hurts -- ask your IT Department to set up your SPF record to register Emma as an authorized sender on your behalf.
Try resending after taking these steps. You should have much better luck!
(Edited)
Photo of UltraSource LLC

UltraSource LLC

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Not receiving test emails.

For the past day I have been trying to send myself a test email for an upcoming campaign.  It indicates through Emma that it has been received, but I have not received it.  I have never had a problem with this before, so I am trying to understand what the issue may be.
Photo of Tex

Tex

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is happening to me as well.  
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Tex! When you look at the contact record for that address, does it show as having been received?
Photo of Go Film

Go Film

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in the same boat - I send it out and it doesn't show as being received. 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! Have you taken the first two steps above to whitelist our sending domain and IP range, as well as set up an SPF record?
Photo of ASSA ABLOY EMS&OEM Group

ASSA ABLOY EMS&OEM Group

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Similar here. I've sent out multiple test emails to myself and am not receiving them. When I track the response they don't show as being delivered, like they've just gotten lost on route to delivery. I've previously had no problems sending and receiving test emails, this just started. My co-workers working out of the same profile/account have been able to send and receive tests with no problem. 
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- for the tests that aren't coming through to your inbox, are you sending from an internal address to another internal address? If so, have you taken the steps above to whitelist our sending domain and IP range, as well as set up an SPF record?

If that's not the case here, can you point me to the response for a recent mailing that you never received so I can take a look? Thanks!
Photo of NBCOT

NBCOT

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same issue.  Other people in my organization's receive the test emails, but I do not, and we have followed the steps in the post above. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there - I'm going to reach out by email so that you can share the specific address with me. Be on the lookout for an email from me!
Photo of Clean Energy Collective

Clean Energy Collective

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Same issue. It seems to only happen when others are included in the test send as well. ONLY when I'm the only test recipient do I receive the test. This creates alot of duplicate work. Please fix the bug.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there! I'm not sure we're talking about a bug here. I'd like to dig in on the specifics. I'll reach out by email so I can get the specific email addresses and domain names you're working with. Thanks!
Photo of The Houston Zoo

The Houston Zoo

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,

We are experiencing the same issue. I have tried sending the test email to my personal gmail account in addition to my work email and still have no luck. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Photo of The Houston Zoo

The Houston Zoo

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Update on this. I received 1 email about 1 1/2 hours after I sent the test.
Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi there,

The sub account that I took a peek at was Marketing/Membership. If you look at your Response, I can see that on the 29th there were several tests sent to "0" recipients. This is an ability (sending to no one) that hopefully will soon not be a possibility...but in the meantime...type in your email address completely in the "To" box. I went in and sent one to the email that was in the box (I typed it in completely - I didn't select the auto-fill) and to myself. Please send one to yourself...but again type your email in completely.

Once it has been typed in completely once, it should register from then on. What is basically happening is that the "send" is happening before the "to" info is properly saved.

I hope that helps!
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I am not receiving my test emails.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I just sent you an email to get more specifics on this issue. Please keep an eye out for that in your inbox. 
Photo of Rosita Calderon

Rosita Calderon

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am not receiving my test emails either. We use Gmail as our email provider.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks for letting us know! Please check your inbox for an email from me. I'd like to get more details on this, including the address you're sending to, and I don't want you to have to share that information here. Thanks!
Photo of Innovative Educators

Innovative Educators

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am sending tests to my gmail and comcast accounts. the gmail account receives the tests but the comcast does not? I have checked spam/junk it is not in there? Emma says it has been delivered?
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
For the past 2 days I have been unable to receive a test email sent to myself. Up to this point, I had no problem receiving them. We have done the whitelisting and spf thing a while back. The test campaigns show up as 'received' and sent to 1 address, and do not show in my junk mail folder. What can I do to fix this?

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Cynthia -- I'd first check with your IT team to see if they've made any changes or security updates to your internal server. If so, you may want to go through those whitelisting and SPF record update steps again.

If that doesn't do it, let me know! You may also want to add the sending address to your address book or contact list.
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Emily, is the sending address different than that on the email? Is is an e2ma.net address?

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
No, the sender email address is the address you've set in the sender info tab of your account settings or on the review and send page when sending your mailing. Whitelisting Emma's sending IP addresses will help to make Emma's sending more recognizable to your server.
Photo of Heartstrings, Inc

Heartstrings, Inc

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same issue as above.  Test email popup says it's been sent, but when I look at the audience file for my email address, it shows no record of that email at all.  I've "sent" this test to myself and a coworker three times now, and none have been delivered.  I am the tech person for our office, and nothing has changed in our email/server systems.  These aren't even hitting Spam.  Need help now. anniev@heartstringssupport.org

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Annie -- I can see that my teammate Laura resolved this for you. Your sending was paused but has now been restored. Thanks!
Photo of focus usa

focus usa

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My test emails stop going through successfully..

My email address is active, our server is active and our SPAM filtering isn't holding it either.  Any ideas?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  Check out Katie's "Official Response" listed above.  Primarily the links to Whitelisting and SPF record information.  

I believe those will move you in the right direction. 

Cheers!
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I had the same problem (see above) and found out our IT department had created a rule that any subject line with "test" in it would be blocked and not delivered to the mail box. They assumed that all those "test" emails were spam. ARRRRGH!
(Edited)
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
That's some great info, thank you Cynthia!
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
It's certainly another thing to consider besides all of the other solutions to this problem.
Photo of The Happy Berry

The Happy Berry

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We are having the same problem with test emails- the test email is not being delivered to the emails in the test send, but those same emails do receive the actual newsletter when we send the mass email.  I did receive the test when I sent it only to my alternate gmail address (and it was only email in the test send)
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
HI there, did you set up the Whitelisting and SPF records as described in Katie's answer above?

Check out the links there in her steps 1 and 2. 

That's your first step!  
Photo of The Happy Berry

The Happy Berry

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, thank you, our service provider has verified that the whitelisting and spf records are set up as described.  In particular I wonder why the test message does not work, but when I send the full email, it works (goes to my email)
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
If it's specifically test messages that aren't going through, it could be your server blocking messages with the word "TEST" in the subject line.  

Whenever you send a test through the editor, Emma adds in "[TEST]"  to the beginning of your subject line, and I've heard other customers say that their servers were set to block anything with that in the subject line.  Perhaps that'd be a good place to check next.  
Photo of Moms Guide

Moms Guide

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Not receiving Test emails.

I've been trying to send a test email and I have still not received it. I've been waiting since yesterday night. I sent it to my personal gmail and other addresses where we have received the test emails before. Can someone please advise? 

I even tested with old email I have sent and received before and still not receiving. Why?

Thanks!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there!  I've merged your question in here as it's likely the same thing.  Check out Katie's response to this post.  Specifically the links she posted regarding Whitelisting and SPF record updates.  

Cheers!

- Grey 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
additional information

Please reference the new conversation here: Not Receiving Test emails
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
additional information

Please reference the new conversation here: Not Receiving Test emails
Photo of Salomon Sports

Salomon Sports

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same issue. Gmail account has not received test emails. Quite frustrated.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there Salomon Sports.  Have you followed the instructions that Katie laid out above regarding updating your Whitelisting and SPF records for your email server?  

That's the first place to start. Once you have those in place, let us know if you continue to have issues and we'll dig in a little deeper. 
I have begun to experience the same issue -- been sending test emails to the office staff and now, out of the blue -- it says sent and no one is receiving in the same organization - Gmail -- please help cyndi@downtownhampton.com
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there, 

Have you followed the instructions that Katie posted for Whitelisting and updating your SPF record?  That typically fixes the issue.  See the links that she posted for those and pass those along to your IT folks.  

It is likely that a security setting changed on your internal server that is now blocking them.  

You'll want to make sure to check your internal addresses in your Emma account to see if they are being bounced into Error status.  If so, you'll need to move them back to Active status to send to them again.  

Let me know if you have any questions! 

-G