Can't create link-based trigger for scheduled mailing

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I'd really like to see more user control with trigger / auto responder features. Specifically:
- ability to set triggers in advance of mailings being sent
- ability to set triggers / auto responders for "opens"

Love Emma - Thanks! :)
Photo of Rumsey Records LLC

Rumsey Records LLC

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! It sounds like you're looking for different types of triggers than what we currently have:
I understand the second piece of what you're requesting -- for the opening of an email to trigger a campaign to send -- but I'm not following the first piece, about sending a campaign in advance of another. Will you help me understand what you'd like to see there?

As for a trigger based on an email being opened, I'm not sure you'd see great results there. The reason is that an open is counted if the campaign's images are downloaded in a preview pane, so some folks may not actually read through or interact with your email, and then they'd received your trigger campaign since their preview pane had counted them as having opened the email.

Rumsey Records LLC

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Katie! Thanks for the quick response -

Understood on the 'opens'

on my other question - When I set an email to send, say tomorrow. I'd like also be able to go ahead and set up a trigger to send when someone opens a link in that email (that has yet to send). Currently, I have to wait for that email to actually send, then go back and set up the trigger to send. (Which also makes me wonder if those triggers go out to everyone who has clicked or only to ones who click AFTEr trigger is actually set) - make sense?

More specifically, the links in an email set to send at future date do not show up in the 'trigger' set up until after the email has sent. I'd like to be able to set all of this up in advance, which is the point of setting up auto-responders, in advance, in order to operate more efficiently.

THANKS! :)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I think what you're wanting was possible -- being able to create a link-based trigger for a scheduled campaign -- but that's currently broken in our platform. The good news is that this will be fixed, so it will become a possibility; it just won't work right now. :( I'm sorry for that inconvenience! I'm going to switch this topic to a Problem and edit the subject line so we can track the bug, and I'll give you a shout once it's been fixed.
(Edited)

Rumsey Records LLC

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Perfect - Thanks for the quick response and great service!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
You're so welcome!
Photo of OrgSpring

OrgSpring

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Katie,

I've created a welcome email as a trigger that is sent to anyone who signs up for a particular list. Inside that welcome email (trigger) there is a coupon/advertisement for a service we offer. Some people continue on with the service and others dont.

I'd like to send another email based on users who click on that coupon/advertisement link in the welcome email. This too should be a click based trigger.

Question is: how do i set that up? When I create the email to be sent and choose trigger- click based, I'm only given the option to select email campaigns that have already been sent.
Is there a way to base a trigger on another trigger?

Thanks.
Craig
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Craig! If I’m following what you’d like to do, you want an email to send when someone clicks a link in a separate email. That’s doable, but it’s only doable if you’ve already sent the first email; that’s why you’re only seeing options to select mailings that have already been sent. The bug here is that you can’t create the link trigger based on a mailing you haven’t sent yet, one that’s scheduled. You’ll find the trigger setup steps here.

Let me know if you have questions about this!
Photo of OrgSpring

OrgSpring

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes, I looked through the trigger setups and the support forums here. I don't think it can handle what I'm trying to do.
Basically, I'm trying to create a trigger based on another trigger. It's basically a chain - that is, an email will be sent if and only if a certain link is clicked inside another email, and that other email happens to be a welcome emails which is a trigger attached to someone signing up with my general form.
So I'm trying to create a trigger based on an email that is not created until something else happens.
It sounds like that's not doable, correct?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Craig, would this be the sequence you want?:

1. Someone submits their information through your signup form.
  2. Your welcome email trigger sends to them.
  3. They click a specific link in that welcome email trigger.
  4. Another mailing is sent to them because of the link they clicked.

This won’t work because you can only select to base your link-based trigger on a mailing that’s already been sent. Since a trigger only sends when an event happens — so, when someone submits information through your form — that welcome trigger won’t appear as an option in the list of mailings to base your link-based trigger upon since it technically hasn’t been sent.
Photo of OrgSpring

OrgSpring

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Got it, thanks.

Do you know if the API can handle webhooks?
I'm wondering if I can track members of my lists as they move through my site and maybe click on links and send emails that way?

Thanks for your quick responses. Really appreciate it.

Craig
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
You can use Webhooks — here’s more, under Message Click — but I have to say I haven’t implemented them before. While we have API docs, like at that link, we don’t provide support for the API, so it’s a bit above my head.

It sounds like you know what you’re doing, though! And if you get stuck along the way, don’t hesitate to search and post in the community to see if other users have encountered the same issue. You can jump directly to our API category here to see previous related conversations, too.
Photo of OrgSpring

OrgSpring

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks again Kate - i've seen this list of webhooks - they're all internal emma events. But I'll take a closer look at the other API docs too.  Again, appreciate the quick responses. I've been loving Emma. It's super easy to use, and very intuitive so far.

Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Oh, Craig, I just reread your post and realized you wrote you wanted to track members moving through your site, not your mailing. You’re right, the Webhooks are for your Emma mailings only. I don’t know of a way to trigger a mailing to send based on site activity, but you may be able to at least track those site clicks with Google Analytics or another service and segment your members that way to send to them.

Glad to hear you’ve having a good experience! :)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi all! I want to update you that we’ve decided not to allow link-based triggers or autoresponders for scheduling mailings after all. It was something that worked on the old API, but on the new, links for scheduled mailings aren’t generated until the mailing is sent, so there's no way to create an autoresponder off a link in a scheduled mailing.

We've updated the Resource Center to reflect this. Sorry I don’t have better news!